The Scientific method can be subverted using inherent problems in the peer review process like Publication bias.
Statistically Significant results are three times more likely to be published than papers with null results.
So if you give research grants to check a hypothesis, papers confirming said hypothesis will be published 3 times more often than papers confirming the null hypothesis.
By framing the hypothesis to align with your agenda, you can get anything to be science. And from that point onward scientific legitimacy is equivalent to political legitimacy, because all that matters is who gets to gather enough legitimacy by political means to frame the hypothesis.
It would take political clout to grant money to only one type of hypothesis but it can be done, if you are a rich enough donor in grant-making NGOs or a rich lobbyist in government agencies.
The great thing about this technique is that you do not have to ask the scientists to meddle with p-values and create data mining bias because that is prone to whistleblowing. This method is also resistant to meta-analyses and reviews.
Anne Morelli has summarized and systematized the contents of Ponsonby’s classic in “ten commandments of propaganda”:
- We do not want war.
- The opposite party alone is guilty of war.
- The enemy is the face of the devil.
- We defend a noble cause, not our own interest.
- The enemy systematically commits cruelties; our mishaps are involuntary.
- The enemy uses forbidden weapons.
- We suffer small losses, those of the enemy are enormous.
- Artists and intellectuals back our cause.
- Our cause is sacred.
- All who doubt our propaganda, are traitors.
In an age of sequels, prequels, remakes, spin-offs and politically correct retellings, the movie Passengers stands out as a scientifically sound fairy tale complete with traditional metaphors and explorations. The politically correct establishment will, of course, blame the movie for being sexist and rape-apologetic. I would not even be surprised if the movie is banned in a few neo-puritan states of America.
These are the metaphors in the movie (here lie the spoilers):
- The ship in deep space is a metaphor for reality surrounded by nothingness.
- The 5000 people in the hibernation pods on the ship are all the possible people this reality can offer and are yet to be born.
- 100 years before reaching the destination (a paradise planet), The Man is woken up by the ship’s AI or perhaps by the ship’s malfunction. A (random) sequence of events leading to power failure of his hibernation pod and he is woken up. This is a metaphor for how you come to be in this reality, through a series of events which seem random or perhaps chosen by an intelligence (we are not sure).
- The Man is alone and it ruins him. He deliberates hard and chooses a Woman from the pods and wakes her up. They fall in love, and when she finds out she woke up because of the man she hates him and avoids him. She hates him for waking her up before the ship reached its destination and forcing her to die before the ship reaches the paradise planet. This one seems to be the Abrahamic narrative of Adam and Lilith.
- The ship shows signs of progressive failure. This one seems to be about how the world itself is impermanent and how the second Law of Thermodynamics affects everything.
- One of the Crew is woken up accidentally or by design by the ship and He figures out what is wrong with the ship (it is failing) and dies because of problems in His hibernation pod reviving Him improperly. While He is dying, He leaves the keys to the Man. This one seems to be a metaphor for the Messiah.
- The ship starts failing, and the Man has to almost die trying to fix the ship with the help of the Woman. The Man mentions how he has to die because it is about the 5000 hibernating souls also. He is resuscitated to life by the Woman. Both the man the woman use the keys left by the dead Crew member to fix the ship. This is a metaphor for how men lost their nature by fixing the problems of this world through science and technology. This is also a metaphor for how women step in when men lose their nature. Both the Man and Woman use the keys left by the Messiah to do everything.
- The Man volunteers to put the Woman back to an alternative to hibernation which only one person can use. The Man lives in solitude for the next 100 years being a steward of the ship while it reaches its final destination. This is a metaphor for men who do not need women but are stewards of the world trying to take Reality to its Omega Point a.k.a Final Cause.
- The remaining crew members are awoken 4 months before the destination and realize everything that happened on the way.
The movie has a distinct Judeo-Christian-Islamic flavor to it. And it hints at rebirth and other similar ideas seen in Eastern religions. I liked how the Woman complains to the Android butler how robots have a purpose. What was left out is how she had the burden of discovering her purpose.
But I am sure the social justice crowd can only see sexism, rape, and the tropes of movies everywhere. Perhaps that is why all the professional reviewers gave the movie a low rating while the audience loved it as seen from IMDB ratings.
Question: What have you learned about power in 10 years of WikiLeaks?
Answer: “My conclusion is that most power structures are deeply incompetent, staffed by people who don’t really believe in their institutions and that most power is the projection of the perception of power. And the more secretively it works, the more incompetent it is, because secrecy breeds incompetence, while openness breeds competence, because one can see and can compare actions and see which one is more competent. To keep up these appearances, institutional heads or political heads such as presidents spend most of the time trying to walk in front of the train and pretending that it is following them, but the direction is set by the tracks and by the engine of the train. Understanding that means that small and committed organisations can outmanoeuvre these institutional dinosaurs, like the State Department, the NSA or the CIA”.
Thanks to the postmodernists in Anglo-American-European universities and governments, we are supposed to believe everything is merely a linguistic construct. We are supposed to believe we can change reality by just talking and thinking about it differently.
That is the thesis of the new science fiction movie Arrival, in which aliens offer us, humans, a timeless understanding of reality by merely teaching us their language which presumes no time. Using Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis they justify that the alien language imparts the ability to remember the future like we remember the past.
By simply learning the language which only an American white woman manages to figure out correctly, the Aliens give the American the ability to see future and establish world peace.
The implication being only Americans see the future correctly, and that only they can bring about world peace. The Chinese and the Russians are shown as warmongers who need American inspiration to create world peace and transparent sharing of all knowledge.
As for the ability to remember future, no one can remember the change of the universe in which there is an increase in entropy because there is simply far too many states and possibilities the universe can be in. There is no way to summarize the innumerable possibilities of a high entropy state, into a few concepts to be transmitted as part of a language. So by definition, only the change of the universe in which there is a decrease entropy can be remembered.
TL;DR: Universe has a low entropy state and a high entropy state. Regardless of whether the universe is assumed to be moving from low entropy to high entropy, or high entropy to low entropy, we can only remember and understand, the low entropy states. This is because low entropy states can be summarized as concepts. Concepts are for the few possibilities that did happen, and not for everything that could have happened.
Many programmers deploy their /.git/config file and it is sometimes accessible from the web server.
This file is often useful as the means to find the URL to the git repository used by the developer. From there one can find the true identity of the developer.
I sometimes leave this file in the deployment. I like people being interested in me and finding what I do.
Much like how the printing press weakened the power of the religions to police thought, the Internet is weakening the grip of global liberalists over the world population to think progressively. (Progressive values are of course secularizations of religious values).
The establishment knows this and that is why they are paying billions to be part of the director’s board of any new communications/media/information management platform that comes out of the silicon valley.
Already attempts are being made to
- strengthen worldwide intellectual property: so that media deconstruction through alternate media can be stopped by citing IP laws. See TPP.
- offer non-neutral internet for cheaper prices: so that content that does not fall in line with the narrative can be censored using the machinery used to give preferential treatment to content. See Free Basic by Facebook
- de-legitimizing all forms of legitimacy in alternate media: so that people will stop listening to forms of media that undermine the establishment. See PropOrNot
- internet kill switches: so that the Internet can be shut down if necessary. See the nationwide internet outage in the USA in October 2016.
- creation of progressive information bubbles: so that a small group of deluded loyalists can be maintained. bubbles against the narrative are censored. See Facebook/Reddit censorship.
- various creative ways of information censorship: so that people are not influenced by information outside their bubble. See Reddit censorship.
So far such attempts have failed as they have always. Earning enough legitimacy to maintain a narrative on the Internet seems to be impossible. People around the world have always loved to hear what the underdog has to say.