This one came up in the Metabolism & Regulation lectures.
- 70 KG Male consumes 11,700kJ
- Thermodynamic efficiency of pathways ~50%
- 5,860kJ converted to ATP
- Synthesis of 1 mole of ATP under cellular conditions requires ~50kJ
- No of moles of ATP 5860/50 = 117
- M wt of ATP (disodium salt) = 551g/mol (cost US$24 per g)
- 117 moles = 64,467g of ATP (cost is > US$1,547,000)
- Efficient recycling system of ATP/ADP; 50g of ATP in a 70kg adult.
- Body must recycle 1300 times each day for each ATP molecule