- North Pole May Be Ice-Free for First Time in Summer 2008
- Arctic Sea Ice Gone by Summer 2012?
- Arctic summers ice-free ‘by 2013′
- Gore: Polar ice cap may disappear by summer 2014
- Arctic Summer Sea Ice Gone By 2015?
- US Navy predicts summer ice free Arctic by 2016.
- Arctic Ocean may open to regular shipping by 2017.
- Arctic Largely Ice Free in Summer 2019?
- Study: Arctic ice could be gone by 2020
- Arctic to be ice-free in summer 2029: scientist
- Ice-free Arctic could be here by 2030
- Arctic sea lane could open by 2035
- Arctic Summers Ice Free by 2040, Study Predicts
- Arctic may be ice-free by 2041
- Climate Change Seen Leaving Arctic Ice-Free by 2050
- Researchers project ice-free Arctic by 2058
Throughout religions and trans-humanist philosophies, we are taught to value immortality. We should be careful about what we wish for. Immortality can be painful when you are a fallible, self-knowing, history-knowing being with not a lot of ability/interest to create new realities, and solve new problems.
I will examine different types of immortality below:
- Christian immortality: The heaven according to Christians is a place which is like an eternal Jesus Camp where you sing praises to the Dear Leader forever. What will you be doing on your quadrillion-th birthday? Well of course you will be praising Jesus. What about your octillion-th birthday? You will be praising Jesus. So if you think that Sunday church service is too boring, sleep-inducing, or just long, you will really think heaven is hell, on your million-th birthday. You will beg to be put to death. You will long for an eternal rest like you were before you were born.
- Islamic immortality: The heaven according to Muslims is more worldly. Think of it like a long Las Vegas trip were everything is free including the hookers. What will you be doing on your quadrillion-th birthday? Well you will be having sex with the 10 billion-th human for the million-th time, assuming you change partners each day. You will quickly run out of human beings to have sex with, no matter what Allah does for you, you will soon be bored, and will beg to be put to death like you used to be before you were born.
- Transhumanist immortality: Same problem above, but of course you can voluntarily choose annihilation, and not beg for permission to your Dear Leader. So you are slightly better off. Of course if you have a creative mind perhaps you can spend a billion years writing all music that sounds good to the brain structures of all human beings. Oh wait, the quantum computers can do that in a nanosecond. Well, then how about generating all life partners that will be pleasing to your mind. Meh, that can be done in a nano-second too. You will pretty soon call it quits.
So what is the moral of the story?
The gods envy us. They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again. — Achilles from the movie Troy.
I recently read about the innovative solution to the ITA interview problem:
If the integers from 1 to 999,999,999 are written as words, sorted alphabetically, and concatenated, what is the 51 billionth letter?
I loved the solution using lazily evaluated grammar trees, automatic differentiation for length calculation(!), with binary searching in such trees.
It was really mind blowing. My solution would have involved exactly what the problem asked me to do: strict enumeration of number names sorted alphabetically to find the correct letter.
To compute less is an art that belong to the gods.
I wonder if the gods are lonely. Would people appreciate them? Would people remember their names long after they are gone?
Today I learned the value of cooperative strategies based on wrong ideas. Even if you are doing something totally useless, or even harmful, as long as most people recognize it as valuable, you will reap benefits from the actions until the day of reckoning. The day of reckoning is when reality hits your group hard and swiftly over the span of a few years.
As an individual who was always placed in the lowest strata of my group due to my lack of ability to play their cooperative games, I have always been unable reap the rewards based on my competence and ingenuity to the degree I have them.
As a consequence I was unplugged from the popular delusions and the madness of the masses, and I was able to see better delusions and better forms of insanity practiced by other groups.
However those other groups never accepted me either. I was forever cursed to be the individual who was never allowed to play the cooperative games.
I have no choice but to manipulate people, to create my own group with its own little insanity that I engineer. My nature compels me to disobey.
Always set up an option for such things. If you lose your loss should be limited but if you gain, your gains must be potentially unlimited.
For instance, you cannot control whether someone will fall in love with you. So make sure you can move on before you seek love.
The idea is pretty simple, but I didn’t realize it until I made money in the financial markets.
Apparently I was a saint before I realized everyone was a psychopath.
I think it is a bit arrogant to think the world/our species will end in our lifetime.
Because the universe, earth and life has been around for billions of years. Human beings have been around for millions of years. We survived the ice age, little ice age, supervolcanoes, super earth quakes. We would have to be incredibly unlucky to be the generation that witnesses the end of our species.
Why is it that all end-of-world predictions are expected to fulfill within this generation? Why is it that it is always the case that we have to repent and change our ways in this generation and not in a 100 years?
Climate change predictions are also newer than say evolution in biology. So there is still time and the possibility for evidence against the current consensus about catastrophe due to climate change.
Illusory consistency, self-delusions of sincerity, absence of correspondence with reality are the hallmarks of an unsound philosophy and it’s philosophers.
There is a saying in cryptographic circles that anyone can invent a cryptographic scheme which she herself cannot break.
Philosophy is like cryptography in that anyone can come up with a philosophy, that she herself cannot live by but would want the world to live by.
One of my favorite popular pseudo philosophers of recent times is Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
In his book Anti-fragile, Taleb makes ridiculous health related claims I am sure he himself cannot live by. For examples, he claims that a 500 calorie diet is a better cure for diabetics than medicine, and that it is good to go to the gym after a sleep deprived jet lagged flight. I would like to see him live by these claims. Other claims he makes involve the idea that all of modern drugs are the result of sheer dumb luck, monkeys throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks. If it is that trivial to invent new drugs I would like to see him try.
What may be true for a log-Levy distributed financial instrument may not be true for the human body. Perhaps scientific medicine is not just statistical testing of randomly generated hypotheses. Perhaps there is a casual narrative which is used to generate a new hypothesis.